Monday 30 November 2009

Oliver Twist - production photos

It was press night of Oliver Twist on Friday and those of you that read this blog regularly will have seen a few advance images of the show. The show really was quite wonderful. The cast, as usual with our festive productions, were incredible as they acted, sang and played their way across an amazing set. There was so much to be impressed by so here are a few of my favourite things.

The set - I have said it before and I will say it again. The set looks spectacular. With the addition of great lighting, I love the lanterns particularly, and the smoke coming from the chimneys, it makes our intimate theatre seem, well, so much bigger in every sense. And with that, koudos to our awesome technical team and production staff for the mean feat of putting on such a mammoth show. You continue to amaze me.

The music - sounds fantastic with some wonderful harmonies and beautiful musicianship. The choreography of instrument handover is an amazing feat in itself. I particularly loved the musical scene in the undertakers that felt very Tim Burton. The exaggerated facial expressions, movement and music combined to look almost like a fantastical piece of animation. Wonderful...

The talent - the fact that the cast can not only sing, dance and act as well as play multiple characters, they seem to be able to turn their hand to many a different instrument. On top of that, the young cast, many of whom won't have acted on a main stage before, were wonderful. Especially considering the limited time they had to rehearse with the cast due to school commitments. I must mention Oliver himself but also the young gent that played Noah who, in my opinion, was on a par with his professional counterparts. Credit must go to the human dynamo that is Lizzie Newman for her dedicated work with 'her babies'.

The costumes - are also stunning. Well done wardrobe ladies - you are a marvel. And if you are not sure what to do with Nancy's jacket after the show I am staking my claim right now...Am also liking Mr Bumble's coat but not sure I would get away with this as day wear.
And last but not least the photos - I think we have captured some really beautiful moments from the show so thanks to Ian Tilton for capturing the moments and to Jon and David for their artistic and discerning eye. Good job all.

So many things to love and I haven't even mentioned the mulled wine and mince pies. All in all, a wonderful and fantastical show and I can't wait to see it all over again...love it!
blog comments powered by Disqus