Thursday 22 October 2009

Seven Jewish Children

From tonight until Saturday, after performances of All My Sons, you can also see a performance of Caryl Churchill's ten-minute play Seven Jewish Children. This play is considered quite contraversial and if you have a view on the play then why not come along to our upcoming event Investigate:All My Children when you will get to discuss the artistic merits of the play alongside extracts of All My Sons and Seven Other Children. You can read more about the event here.

Seven Jewish Children is directed by the very lovely and talented Elizabeth Newman. She is here with the ITV Director's scheme no less and is a great addition to the theatre I asked Lizzie to answer a few questions...

Name

Elizabeth Newman

What do you do?

I am the Octagon Theatre’s Trainee Director on the ITV Theatre Directors Scheme

How long have you been at it?

I have been directing since I was sixteen and I have been at the Octagon for three months.

What was your very first role in the theatre?

An actor

Have you got qualifications?

Yes, I trained as a director for three years at Rose Bruford College (drama school) where I received a BA (Hons) in Directing.

What did you do before you worked in theatre?

I have always worked in theatre.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Well, it was a toss up between directing and law. I believe there are lot of similarities between being a director and lawyer i.e. both involve performing and investigating!

What do you do all day?

I assist, direct and run a new writing department at the theatre.

What’s the best thing about your job?

I get to make theatre!

And the worst?

Replying to lots of emails! (well that told me - Ed)

What’s your dream job in theatre?

To be Artistic Director of a theatre

Got any wise words for someone who wants to be where you are now?

Work hard and remember… you have to be like a phoenix – always return from the flames.

blog comments powered by Disqus